● GO GREEN! GREENPOINT FESTIVAL: POSTPONED TO SATURDAY, 5/18!!! Saturday, May 18, 11 AM - 5 PM (Originally scheduled for May 11) McCarren Park
Please join us next Saturday, May 18th for one of Time Out NY Kids' top 16 ways to celebrate Earth Day 2013! We had to postpone our 6th Annual Go Green! Greenpoitn Festival due to awful weather forecasts. The good news is the new date is calling for gorgeous weather. Go Green brings our entire community together to celebrate and build a sustainable environment for a clean future! We’ll have art projects, science exhibits, educational displays, enviro-friendly merchandise, health & wellness tips, kids’ activities, live music & performances, and so much more! Keep dancing the sun dance! It's working!!
>>>> WE ALSO NEED MUSICIANS & PERFORMERS! Our Go Green! Greenpoint band, the talented Newtown Creek Players, cannot play our the rain date, this Saturday, May 18th. So sad. Would any other talented musicians/bands in Greenpoint/Williamsburg like to play at Go Green? It's a volunteer gig but it's at McCarren, the weather's supposed to be gorgeous this Saturday (think thousands of folks who normally enjoy McCarren on a nice day), and Go Green's a great community celebration. If you're interested, please contact Thomas at 845.787.0189/ firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you soooo much in advance.
*** *** *** WHAT ELSE IS HAPPENING AT GO GREEN ON MAY 18th?
* Brooklyn Science & Art Museum's 1st Pop-Up! An intersection of science & art! You'll just have to come and check out oobleck for yourself!
* Go Green Science & Art Challenge! Using the oobleck substance from the Brooklyn Science and Art Museum’s pop-up exhibit at Go Green! Greenpoint 2013 Festival (“Go Green”), school teams are challenged to create and submit artworks that explore enviro-subjects. -- Go Green! Greenpoint Science & Art Challenge is open to all schools! -- ENTRY IS FREE. -- Register here: http://tinyurl.com/GoGreenSciArtCHALLENGE. -- Oobleck must be picked up at the oobleck exhibit at Go Green between 3-4:30 PM. -- Please do not forget to bring containers to transport out your oobleck. -- Artwork submissions will be displayed and judged in at June exhibition (venue TBA). -- A distinguished panel will judge based on the enviro focus, creativity & artistic quality. -- 1st place school winner will receive a trophy to display until next year’s Go Green! Greenpoint Science & Art Challenge.
* Greencycle Swap! Clothes, shoes, bedding, toys, books, bicycles, electronics, computers, etc. One man's trash is another man’s treasure! You do not need to drop off anything to take something. All remaining items are donated to Green Chip and the Vietnam Vets of America.
SATURDAY, MAY 11th: A HUGE THANK-YOU TO NYRP, GWAPP & RIVERKEEPER - who kept on slogging despite the rain. We'll try to post photos soon.
* Riverkeeper Sweep cleanups - A HUGE THANK YOU to Dana Gulley, John Koblinski, Lisa Bloodgood, and the rest of the Riverkeeper volunteers for holding Riverkeeper Sweep cleanups last Saturday in McCarren Park, Grand Ferry Park and Java/India - despite the rain and all! Town Square was happy to still support the cleanups even though we opted to postpone Go Green to this coming Saturday, May 18th.
* 100 Tree Giveaway by NYRP/Town Square/GWAPP also happened from 12N- 3PM, in front of the McCarren Play Center. And a HUGE THANK YOU to Mike, John, Ryan, Heather, Jennifer, Sha, and Gary for coming out last Saturday in the rain to help give away 76 beautiful trees from 1 PM to 3 PM. The giveaway was a first-time partnership among Town Square, NY Restoration, and GWAPP, and we gave away two types of Asian Pear trees, Dogwood trees, and Flowering Myrtle trees - ranging from 5 feet to 8 feet tall! It looked like a little botanical garden pop-up in front of McCarren Play Center!
By the way, 26 trees walked off around 9 AM "by mistake" - mainly Dogwwods. If anyone took our trees (or know of anyone who took trees) on Saturday MORNING, please contact Town Square at email@example.com. It shouldn't have happened but if we can track them down and confirm where the trees will be planted, you (and Town Square and GWAPP) are ok. Please, please help us! Other than the missing trees, the first Greenpoint tree giveaway was a huge success! We'd love to bring back the giveaway next year but need to sort this out first.
● BROOKLYN SCIENCE & ART MUSEUM's 1st Pop-Up Saturday, May 18 McCarren Park (part of Go Green! Greenpoint Festival)
● MAY GREENCYCLE SWAP Saturday, May 18 McCarren Park (part of Go Green! Greenpoint Festival)
● BROOKLYN SCIENCE & ARTS MUSEUM Next Planning Meeting Wednesday, June 5, 7 PM Au Gourmet Cafe (128 Nassau Ave, near McGuinness Blvd), Brooklyn
Wouldn't you love to see a Science & Arts Museum here in North Brooklyn? If your answer is YES, please join us! With all the wonderful talent in our community, anything can happen!
Let's not forget that $19.5 MM is available to Greenpoint from Greenpoint Environmental Benefits Projects! What a great opportunity to launch the museum!
As we reach for that shining goal of a world-class institution, we will offer pop-up museums, salons & symposiums - so emblematic of the unique indie, can-do spirit of Brooklyn! In fact, our first pop-UP Museum is planned for Go Green! Greenpoint Festival on Saturday, May 11th in McCarren Park. We look forward to seeing you then.
And please join us for the planning meeting on Wednesday, June 5. While not necessary, your RSVP for the planning meeting to firstname.lastname@example.org would be greatly appreciated. And please become a FB friend and "like" us to stay updated between meetings.
● SUMMERSTARZ* 6 children's movie nights in a local park* July & August ● PUMPKIN DAY Saturday, October 12 McCarren Park
● GREENPOINT CHILDREN'S HALLOWEEN PARADE & PARTY Sunday, October 27 176 Java St, Brooklyn
● SchoolFEST Saturday, November 2*
● SANTA PARADE & HOLIDAY EXTRAVAGANZA Saturday, December 7 424 Leonard St